- This event has passed.
Light & Shadow Play: Digging Deeper into STEAM Learning (A Trilingual Professional Learning Community)
November 1 @ 6:30 pm - 8:00 pm
Children are naturally attracted to light, to sparkle, to shadows, to colors and movement. How can we explore light with the children we care for, and encourage their deep thinking about these phenomena?
Join a community of practice exploring light, shadow, and color all year long. Designed for educators who have previously attended a STEAM PLC or with an interest in light play, each participant (or participating team) will share documentation and provocations each month. The group will meet monthly from October 2022 to June 2023 to share activities, documentation, reflections, and resources.
Together we will:
- Explore children’s natural attraction to light play and our role in deepening the complexity of these explorations
- Share light play activities, documentation, and resource
- Reflect on the learning and exploring we see children in, and plan our next step
- Think about how and when we share scientific concepts and vocabulary with children during their exploration
- Inspire ourselves to try new materials, new questions, and new provocation
- Meet with other educators to share ideas, challenges, and successes
The PLC sessions will be offered in Chinese, Spanish, and English:
The following Tuesdays, 6:30-8pm: 10/4,11/1, 12/6, 2/7, 3/7, 4/4, 5/2, 6/
The first registered participants (up to 30) will be invited to a light play workshop at the Exploratorium in August 2022
- Suellen Liang, SFQC Coach & Trainer, First 5 San Francisco
- Casey Federico, SFQC Coach & Trainer, First 5 San Francisco
- Yudy Larraburo, SFQC Coach & Trainer, First 5 San Francisco
- With support from the Exploratorium’s Tinkering Studio
“I think our staff really benefited from all the training. All the trainings allowed the staff to explore and think differently and keep up-to-date….”
-Helen Lao, Co-Director, Little Footprints Preschool